CCM have recently completed the migration of a global eLearning solution to the Cloud. The project delivered the business case benefits on time and on budget. Here are a few tips to help if you are considering a similar deployment:
1. When writing the business case, consider the cost, support and functional pros and cons of deploying to the Cloud versus On Premise. In our recent project the client requested to move away from the current on premise solution to a cloud offering, which included migrating to Software as a Service (SaaS).
2. Migrating to a cloud solution removes the ownership of maintaining the environment, which reduces ongoing operational costs and simplifies the supportability of the service.
3. Ensure you are aware of the cloud provider’s maintenance schedule and any potential impact this may have on your service.
4. Conduct functional testing prior to managing cloud projects and making a commitment. Ensure it meets your requirements as it’s a service offering and not a bespoke solution.
5. Don’t underestimate the requirement for onsite storage. During the planning phase pay particular attention to the amount of storage required. Estimates for future growth should also be considered.
6. Include security and compliance on your project planning. Methods for secure login should also be considered i.e. how to handle credentials, two-factor authentication – all play an important role managing cloud projects.
7. As with all projects, create a collaborative approach with all teams involved to ensure that everyone is clear on the roles and responsibilities.
Managing cloud projects – where to find out more
If you are planning a migration to a cloud solution and would like some advice on how to prepare for the project start speak to CCM at email@example.com.